Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 35 minutes
Servings : 4 to 6 portions
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of Canadian Heritage Organic maple sugar
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) steak seasoning
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1-800 g (1 3/4 lb.) beef filet (ask your butcher for a midsection cut)
- Baste your BBQ grill with vegetable oil and preheat to high.
- Mix maple sugar, spices, Worcestershire sauce and oil in a bowl. Roll the meat in the sauce mixture.
- Brown the meat on the BBQ giving it a quarter turn every two minutes for beautiful grill markings.
- Once browned, reduce heat to the minimum setting, close the grill cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning the meat once more halfway through. Use a meat thermometer for the perfect doneness. For rare meat, the temperature should be at 60 °C (140 °F), for medium, 68 °C (155 °F), and for meat that’s well done, 77 °C (170 °F).
- Remove from heat, loosely cover with aluminum foil and let rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Preheat oven to 160 ℃ (325 °F).
- Season the filet mignon in the same way as for the BBQ method.
- Heat an oven proof pan over medium high. Sear the filet well on all sides.
- Place in oven and roast uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes for each 450 g (1 lb.) of meat, until the desired doneness is obtained (see doneness temperatures above).
- Remove from oven, loosely cover with aluminum foil and let rest for a few minutes before slicing.
Serve with steamed vegetables and a lovely potato mash.